Jenkins was convicted of sexually assaulting and murdering a 20-year-old woman in her home. Balderas was convicted in a gang-related shooting. Vasquez was convicted in the murder of his girlfriend's 4-year-old daughter. 132 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<1DC2C6AC777F9342B3511A99DE336D3C>]/Index[116 31]/Info 115 0 R/Length 96/Prev 381888/Root 117 0 R/Size 147/Type/XRef/W[1 3 1]>>stream One judge presided when the attorneys questioned the prospective jurors individually, the other judge presided when preemptory challenges were exercised. The DNA evidence confirmed Hines' guilt and once again his execution was back on. Im not the one that killed Christina, so whatever makes yall happy. (0 members and 1 guests), http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions04-CV1.wpd.pdf, http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6305384.html, http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/n/6879124.html, http://www.chron.com/news/article/Feal-2135721.php, High-Profile Non-Capital Punishment Trials, Remembrance, Missing Persons, Unsolved Murders, North Carolina - Female Death Row Inmates, Inmates No Longer On Death Row - Executed, Commuted or Released (Members Only), Death Row Inmates and Former Death Row Inmates Who Died in Prison. Acosta was convicted in the slayings and mutilation of two people, one of whom was beheaded. Circuit Court of Appeals, Haynes, who is black, contended state District Court Judge Jim Wallace improperly allowed Harris County prosecutors to exclude two black people from consideration as jurors. Gonzales was convicted in the robbery and slaying of his elderly neighbors in Odessa. USA: The less than one percent doctrine: Texas set to execute another Thats all.". This time, Ellis argued that the court had never really examined the underlying facts since the last execution date, and he brought up the nearly 40 witnesses who would have been willing to testify on his behalf had the trial team not been so "massively" deficient. Busby was convicted in the abduction and murder of a 78-year-old woman. message spotted in SoCal snow as some grow desperate, Weekend winner, with the exception of some problematic pollen, Moose charges snowmobiler in Idaho: VIDEO, Shanquella Robinson's family calls for diplomatic intervention, ATM thieves use glue and 'tap' function to drain accounts at Chase, How Paul Murdaugh helped solve his own murder, Brother of man killed by woman charged with separate murder speaks out, Tom Sizemore dead at 61 after suffering brain aneurysm, 'I need you to kill me': Alex Murdaugh's botched suicide attempt. Anthony Cardell Haynes - Texas Death Row - Page 10 Subsequently, Haynes unsuccessfully sought state and federal habeas review of his sentence. death row, Anthony Cardell Haynes, Bobby Lee Hines, 5th U.S. The child was found at the house of his grandmother, who was also killed. Kemp was convicted in the sexual assault and murder of a woman in the course of hijacking a bus. Washington was convicted in the fatal shootings of two grocery store employees in Houston. 605 0 obj <> endobj Lastly, I was born and raised Catholic and it was not lost. 619 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<482A52F3D52E1349BD0F3C54BB8A9A6B>]/Index[605 25]/Info 604 0 R/Length 85/Prev 293954/Root 606 0 R/Size 630/Type/XRef/W[1 3 1]>>stream Weathers was convicted in the shooting death of a bartender during a robbery. Williams was convicted in the murder of Cynthia McLelland, the Kaufman County DA's wife, during a burglary. Indeed, two different judges presided over Haynes' jury selection; one heard prosecutors interview individual jurors, and a second heard the lawyers' arguments for striking from service the potential jurors. Warden,I am ready to join my father.". Christopher Young was executed on July 17, 2018, in the death of a San Antonio businessman. Satterfield was convicted in the shooting death of 4-year-old Ray Hudson, Jr. Now more than ever, we need your support to continue supplying Austin with independent, free press. I call upon the FBI to investigate Matt Powell and the Lubbock County Medical Examiner. "I am, of course, very disappointed in the split decision by the 5th Circuit today," defense attorney A. Richard Ellis said. endstream endobj 606 0 obj <. Cantu was convicted of fatally shooting his 27-year-old cousin. Gobert was convicted in the stabbing death of a woman and attempted murder of her 5-year-old son. In his appeal to the 5th U.S. Cruz-Garcia was convicted in the murder of a 7-year-old. Hamilton was convicted in the murder of a store clerk during a robbery. Lastly, I want everyone to boycott every single business in the state of Texas until all the businesses are pressed to stop the death penalty. Bluntson was convicted in the shooting deaths of his 21-month-old son and his girlfriend's six-year-old boy. Brandt's latest appeal, filed Oct. 10 with the Court of Criminal Appeals, argues that none of Hines' defense attorneys ever investigated his background for mitigating evidence that could have swayed a jury to sentence him to life in prison. Sorto was convicted in the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of two females. These inmates are all classified as death row inmates by TDCJ, but some may be located in county jails if their case is being resentenced. I still love you all. Conviction summaries are gathered from TDCJ records, court documents and news articles. unsuccessfully challenged his conviction and sentence with a direct appeal, a state habeas application, and a federal habeas petition. Francois was convicted in the fatal shooting of three women. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Ward was convicted in two separate fatal stranglings of women in Houston. Kincaid was off-duty and driving his personal vehicle when Haynes drove by; something cracked Kincaid's windshield, and he reportedly thought Haynes had thrown something at him. Batiste was convicted in the shooting death of a man during a carjacking. After his execution Co-Defendants Turner, Michael . If the Court decides But Haynes' appeal attorney argued that the judge who allowed those strikes had not actually witnessed the jurors' questioning and thus could not actually have seen whether their demeanor would be a basis on which to have them struck. Does he deserve to be there? You know I might have lost the fight but Im still a soldier. "He put things in my path to keep me focused. Again, concerns about ineffective attorneys landed him in front of the Supreme Court last year - but this time the justices didn't lean in his favor. His defense lawyers failed to present mitigating evidence that was available at the time of his trial. Sign the Guest Book. Halprin and five co-defendants were convicted in the shooting death of a police officer in Irving while on escape from the TDCJ Connally Unit. Anthony Haynes S Profiles | Facebook Helen A. Haynes Obituary | Star Tribune Haynes, Helen A. Helen A. Haynes died Feb 15, 2023. Circuit Court of Appeals, Haynes, who is black, contended state District Court Judge Jim Wallace improperly allowed Harris County prosecutors to exclude two black people from consideration as jurors. Howard was convicted in the shooting death of a 42-year-old clerk at a convenience store in Silsbee. We're tracking how many execution drugs Texas has in stock. Funeral service 11:30 AM Thursday, March 9 . +\0p734X*`e>:_eVP02 o'o>'sAv^eSf-PP$*hCdvTzxuv6@ -N N?dN(*Ow$Hj(Rzvw)P2 Twenty years after the killing, Tuesday's decision brings the Houston man one step closer to a possible death date. A note to readers: Bold and uncensored, The Austin Chronicle has been Austins independent news source for over 40 years, expressing the communitys political and environmental concerns and supporting its active cultural scene. OK Warden Im ready.". Death Row Information - Texas Department of Criminal Justice Suitcase Killer, Rosendo Rodriguez III, was executed on March 27, 2018. Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with Haynes' defense that an unusual jury-selection setup in Haynes' case had denied his right to equal protection under law. He also received life sentences for the murders of the woman's grandson and a convenience store clerk, both 19. "Forty affidavits from Anthony's family, friends and relatives, people who were not called to testify at his trial, attest to his good character, responsibility and the unlikelihood of his presenting a future danger," Ellis said. Survived by Jacki DeVore. Last words: "Yes, I would like to say nephew it burns huh. PDF IN THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE FIFTH CIRCUIT United Cathey was convicted in the abduction and murder of Christina Castillo in Houston. Cargill was convicted in the murder of a woman who was set to testify against her in a child protective case. FILE - Death Row inmate Anthony Cardell Haynes during interview on Jan. 3, 2001 at the Terrel Unit in Livingston, Texas. The district court set forth the relevant facts as follows: At around 10:30 p.m. on May 22, 1998, off-duty Houston Police Department Officer Kent Kincaid and his wife left their home in a private vehicle on their way to meet some friends at a sports bar. The state has set a time and a date for his execution - 6pm on 18 October 2012. hb```,l cb A death row inmate convicted of killing a Houston police officer nearly two decades ago could be one step closer to an execution date after the Supreme Court turned down his latest appeal. People named Anthony Haynes S. Find your friends on Facebook. Today is the day I join my God and father. PDF I Supreme Court of the United States Out of uniform, Kincaid pulled over and climbed out to approach Haynes, asking to see his drivers' license, according to court records. I still love you all. Hernandez was convicted in the fatal shooting of a 28-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man in El Paso. "You hit my window," Kincaid told him. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate. Tong was convicted in the shooting death of an off-duty police officer during the robbery of a Houston food store. The U.S. Supreme Court ultimately disagreed with the 5th Circuit, ruling that there was no rule that would require a judge to "personally observe" the juror questioning when deciding whether a juror is lawfully struck from service. HOUSTON The high court told the 5th U.S. Anthony Cardell Haynes, 30, was condemned for the 1998 fatal shooting of police Sgt. Long was convicted in the sexual assault and strangulation of an 11-year-old girl. Anthony Haynes, 33, was granted a stay of execution on Thursday, Oct. 18. Family will greet friends from 6-9pm Friday, July 30, 2010 at Duncan Funeral Home. As the two started to talk about what happened, Haynes lifted up a gun and shot Kincaid in the head. He's now eligible for an execution date. Avila was convicted in the beating death of a child in El Paso. It is what it is. Roger Clemens makes surprise appearance at Astros' Spring Training, Hiker captures 'once-in-a-lifetime' photo of wildlife at Brazos Bend State Park, Why Johnson City in Texas Hill Country is the new, cooler Fredericksburg, Texas congressman's breaks with GOP could lead to censure, Proposed Texas bill gives tax cuts to heterosexual families only, These bites won big at the Houston rodeo's foodie awards, Heres how you can watch 'Daisy Jones and the Six', Here's what Lina Hidalgo carb-loads before a long run, Houston police ticket man for feeding homeless people. Louis Perez has spent nearly two decades on death row. holcombhenryboom.com 651-482-7606. Saldano was convicted in the abduction and murder of Paul Ray King. %%EOF Solis was convicted in the shooting death of Harris Countys first Sikh sheriffs deputy, Sandeep Dhaliwal, during a traffic stop. For the past 14 years, the State of Texas has been intending to kill Anthony Cardell Haynes for the fatal shooting of an off-duty police officer in May 1998. 20@/T. Roberson was convicted in the murder of his 2-year-old daughter. The officer was gunned down as his wife watched after the policeman confronted Haynes. Submit yours now at austinchronicle.com/opinion. The high court ruled that the 5th U.S. "He has been litigating his claims in federal court for over a decade, and this case has gone through multiple cycles of review.". Support the Chronicle. UPCOMING EXECUTIONS - Death Penalty Information Center Davis was convicted in the murder of a 16-year-old female he followed from a party in El Paso. I call upon the FBI to investigate Matt Powell and the Lubbock County Medical Examiner. Robert Ramos was executed on Nov. 14 for the 1992 slaying of his wife and two kids. Canales was convicted in the strangling death of a 47-year-old offender in a prison cell. If real news is important to you, please consider making a donation of $5, $10 or whatever you can afford, to help keep our journalism on stands. The stay bounced the case back to a lower court, which again shot down Haynes' appeal saying that his claims of earlier poor representation didn't constitute the "extraordinary circumstances" required to win an appeal under a "catchall" provision known as Rule 60b. READ MORE:Houston cop killer Haynes granted stay of execution. All Rights Reserved. The state said the deaths were part of a plot to kill five people, including his daughter, after she left home, converted to Christianity and married a Christian man. He also is accused of killing the 15-year-old's mother and the mother's boyfriend. To my supporters and family yall hold it down. Luna was convicted in the choking death of a 21-year-old man while burglarizing his home. Thats all.". HOUSTON - Death row inmate Anthony Haynes, a one-time average teen whose descent into the drug life ended with his shooting a Houston police officer in 1998, has been granted a new trial by a federal appeals court because of the possibility that black jurors were improperly dismissed from his jury panel. The state may have my body but not my soul. Falk was convicted in the death of a correctional officer during an attempted prison escape. Thuesen was convicted in the shooting deaths of a 21-year-old woman and a 23-year-old man. READ ALSO:Execution date set for northeast Texas man convicted of strangling girlfriend. Johnson was convicted in the murder of a gas station employee during a robbery. HBpX48lP`{=c+ayy;y76O}^ #5<4#BC&NPVLeS&25bZ,eO+a)j+OhSL,p1|P @#l4 } AY6oDUwq 96+`dZq#;@ FlE Ill see you on the other side. I made my peace. 2012, for killing an off-duty Houston police sergeant. Anthony Haynes | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers
Who Are The Actors In The Spectrum Mobile Commercial, Stihl 011 Avt Oil Pump Diagram, Associate Minterellison, Why Did Courtney B Vance Leave Law And Order, Articles A